Thursday, September 1, 2011

Over these past few weeks I have just been obsessed. Obsessed with what?

Yes GO!
This simple game has been around for over 2000 years and I never see enough people playing. The rules are surprisingly simple though the strategic power behind this game is amazing. Go is the Japanese name for it though in China it is called Wei Chi, and in Korea it is called Baduk. Whatever you would like to call it, this game gives such a rush to your intellect. Though it is a pretty time consuming game (around an hour), the payoff is worth it.
   I got introduced to this game by a good friend of mine who was pretty intent on the game. He invited me to play and told me the simple rules. Connect your stones and avoid them from capture and to capture stones you surround all the liberties of a stone or stone set. So I get ready to play him and as I start playing I realize that he is just stomping the yard with me. I mean really ruining my game! So yes I definitely overestimated myself with the simplicity of this game. As I researched more into this I found out that there are actually professional Go players. There are a series of dan and Kyu ranks that lead up in professional ranks.
   The oldest and wisest of men play this game. Through determination and refinement they succeed in mastery.

If you havn't played this challenging game then I highly recommend it. Remember, Simple to play Hard to master.

No comments:

Post a Comment